As we all know, it doesn't look like the heat in the state of Colorado is diminishing any time soon. BUT, that shouldn't stop you from getting ON TOP of your home maintenance checklist! After all, knowledge is power... Check out our tips on how to keep your home maintenance-free and in pristine selling condition - you never know when the opportunity may rise.
The next homeowner and your bank account will thank you later.
- Test and change the batteries in your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors.
- Reverse ceiling fans. This creates an upward draft that redistributes warm air trapped against the ceiling.
- Establish a regular schedule for cleaning any or all of the home's humidifiers. Doing so prevents spores and bacteria from festering in the dirty water these humidifiers collect.
Gutters and Downspouts
- Clean gutters and downspouts frequently throughout fall to prevent build up of leaves.
- Be sure water is not coming down behind gutters.
- Ensure that water drains properly and doesn’t pool.
Windows and Doors
- Change Summer screens to Winter and wash windows for appeal.
- Inspect and repair any loose or damaged window or door frames.
- Install weather stripping or caulking around windows and doors to prevent drafts and to lower heating bills.
- Replace the filter in your furnace.
- Consider having a heating professional check your heating system to ensure optimal performance and discover any minor problems.
- Clean your ducts to better your heating system’s efficiency.
Ensure that the pipes are well insulated.
Chimney and Fireplace
- Call a professional in to inspect and clean your chimney.
- Test your fireplace flue for a tight seal when closed.
- Be sure attic insulation doesn’t cover vents.
- Be sure ridge vents and vents at eaves are free of plants and debris.
- Check bird and rodent screens for attic vents to prevent any unwanted guests.
Landscape and Yardwork
- Although grass appears to stop growing in the fall, the roots are actually growing deeper to prepare for winter. Now is the best time to fertilize and reseed your lawn.
- Sealing the driveway now will help extend the life of the asphalt through the winter and beyond.
- Trim any tree limbs.